Solar PV Station (PV farm or PV power plant) – a type of power generating facilities use direct conversion of solar energy into electricity. Actually it is on-grid PV systems that generate electricity for transmission over the “green” tariff (Feed-in tariff) to a grid. Production of electricity from solar power has big opportunity for distributed generation.
On-grid solar PV power plants
Solar PV station (solar farm, PV farm, solar plant, solar power plant or PV power plant) — a type of power generating facilities use direct conversion of solar energy into electricity. Actually it is on-grid PV systems that generate electricity for transmission over the «green» tariff (Feed-in tariff) to a grid. Production of electricity from solar power has big opportunity for distributed generation.
Ways of solar radiation conversion are vary depending on the PV power plant design. Avenston engaged in engineering and construction of solar power plants using the photoelectric (photovoltaic) effect and are based on terrestrial silicon photovoltaic modules. Currently, this technology is dominant and is projected to remain the major within the next 15-20 years. Ways of solar radiation conversion are vary depending on the PV power plant design.
On-grid photovoltaic power system also includes:
- Solar modules.
- Power inverters that convert the direct current (DC), generated by the solar panels into alternating current (AC).
- A monitoring system to control the parameters of the solar power plant.
- Measurement units to monitor the performance of the system and control the amount of electricity to sell it using the “green” tariff.
- The supporting steel structures for placing solar panels on the ground, roof, etc.
- Centralized grid and transmission line, which is connected to a power station.
- Own electricity consumers (industrial or household appliances) as option.
Construction of on-grid PV power plants
PV power systems can be installed on the roofs and walls of buildings or be ground mounted. Due to the modular structure it can be used both for small (private homes), and larger facilities (recreation and health centers, industrial buildings, etc.), providing the required parameters of power supply, as well as compensating electricity necessity at peak power consumption hours. Possible sales of electricity by «green» tariff make the construction of PV power plants as economically attractive project.
The main stages of this cooperation for industrial solar power plants are given below:
- Technical and legal due diligence of the project — studying all available materials in the initial phase of the project (land permits, grid permits, researches results, assessment capabilities, weather data and insolation connectivity).
- Approval of the requirements to solar power plant (list of basic equipment or requirements for it, the power of solar farm, staging for the construction and commissioning, EPC-contractor’ scope of works and services, etc.).
- Preparation of commercial offer and project schedule.
- Preparation and analysis of project financial model.
- Signing of the EPC Agreement.
- The collection of pre-design data.
- Grid permits obtaining.
- Development and approval of the design documentation.
- Obtaining the necessary permits to begin construction work.
- Equipment procurement.
- Construction and installation work.
- Technical acceptance of the object for compliance with project documentation.
- Grid connection.
- Commissioning and trial operation.
- Licenses and «green» tariff.
- Operation and monitoring.
- Service and maintatnence.
In some cases, individual items from the list above may be absent or go to another sequence.